The Great East Lothian Menu
East Lothian Food and Drink, has laid down the gauntlet to the county’s foodies inviting them to get cooking and enter The Great East Lothian Menu competition.
The competition, which closes on the 7th of November, invites you to create your perfect dish, championing the food and drink produced on our doorsteps in East Lothian.
There are two competition categories: Home Cooks and Professionals. Home Cooks and families are asked to incorporate at least two of the ingredients with professionals challenged to include five ingredients. Take a look at the full list of producers on our website.
- To enter, participants need to create a dish, take a photo of it and share the image along with a short recipe.
- Home cooks are invited to use two or more of our members’ products. Take a look at the full list of producers
- Professionals are asked to use five or more products.
- To enter participants can either post on social media, tagging us and including the hashtag #EastLothianCooks or email their entry to email@example.com
First Prize – £100 East Lothian Gift Card and a Commichef Die Cast Aluminium Casserole Dish kindly donated by Gibsons of Haddington
4 x Second Prize – £50 East Lothian Gift Card
8 X Runner up – £25 East Lothian Gift Card
Peter, and his wife Eilidh Eccles, are Co-Founders of Lothian Larder at Saughland Farm, a joint venture between them and farm owner, Richard Callander. The Larder, kitted out with user-friendly chilled and ambient lockers of varying sizes, is a self-service vending machine with a contactless payment terminal. While offering fresh and frozen meat from the farm’s own livestock enterprises, it also stocks a range of delicious foods and drinks sourced from other trusted Scottish farmers and local artisan producers. In addition, the Larder offers fresh ground coffee and home baking to passers-by, shoppers, holiday cottage guests, farm visitors and residents working from the farms own Vineyard Business Centre.
Peter is a passionate food producer and skilled home cook, whose farming practises are regarded as both innovative and environmentally sustainable. Peter’s efforts were recognised in 2020 when he was crowned Farmer of the Year and Farm Manager of the Year in the highly coveted Farmer’s Weekly Awards.
Kylie set up Egg, the Facebook group back in 2014, a place where like-minded women could come together to review and recommend local businesses, as well as support each other. Little did she think back then that it would become her business! But in 2017, she left her job in sales to set up EGG the company and has never looked back!
Egg is now Scotland’s largest on and offline platform for women, with over 30k Facebook members and a great reach across all our other platforms. She started the Egg TALKS TO podcast in 2018 and LOVES sharing inspirational stories of Scottish women far and wide.
She has hosted hundreds of Egg events and is thrilled to have been asked to host non Egg events too. If she’s not at her desk, you’ll find her wild swimming in East Lothian, learning to surf or listening to a podcast.
David Jamieson is the Executive Chef at Archerfield; his culinary journey was inspired by his mum and late gran. He was fascinated by their creations made with such little ingredients and mainly from his dad’s allotment. He has treasured these memories through his career and adapted his cooking style using local produce and sharing his knowledge and love of food with local schools, working with The Prince’s Trust and Springboard.
An experienced judge, his passion for the industry has led him to various Trusts, including Future Chef programmes and at ScotHot, and ex-young offenders in a training and development role with Action for Children. When the pandemic brought a shutdown to the Industry, he created ‘The Lockdown Chef’ page with his daughter to show people how easy and fun it is to get into cooking and to grow food at home. He has recently been named a Scottish Food Ambassador for East Lothian, which he is incredibly proud of.
East Lothian Food and Drink Social Media Channels
Terms & Conditions
The Great East Lothian Menu, is a chance for people from all across the county to celebrate our local produce and come up with a recipe/menu showcasing the finest East Lothian produce.
- Create a dish using two or more East Lothian Food and Drink products. Take a look at the full list of producers
- Share a photo of your creation along with your recipe.
- Create a dish using five or more East Lothian Food and Drink products. Take a look at the full list of producers
- Upload the photo and recipe to social media tagging one of the following social channels: Facebook @eastlothianscotlandsfoodcounty Instagram: @foodanddrinkcounty and include the hashtag #EastLothianCooks
- email it to firstname.lastname@example.org including your name and contact details
- Freedom of choice to create cold or hot food items
- No restriction on number of dishes prepared, and food could be part of any course (appetizer / entrée / dessert)
- Winners of the home cook competition will receive an East Lothian Gift Card redeemable in shops across East Lothian. The vouchers will be sent directly to the winners’ home address.
- First Prize – £100 /4 X Second Prizes – £50 /8 X Runner up – £25
- Winners of the professional chefs will be presented with a certificate.
- The prize cannot be transferred and cannot be exchanged for cash.
- The competition will close at midnight on Sunday 7th November.
- Winners will be selected by a panel of judges and announced on our social media channels by Friday 12th November. Winners will be asked to contact us directly by direct message to share details.
- UK entries only please
Our vision is to reveal the true potential of East Lothian, Scotland’s Food and Drink County, as a
quality destination for food and drink products, by providing ease of access to our incredible
East Lothian Food & Drink Ltd is a unique opportunity for businesses to take the lead in building
a more prosperous future for their businesses, attract investment and develop working
partnerships with commercial and public agencies.
Working together we will release the huge potential to grow and develop our food and drink
sector both within and beyond our county, supporting the future growth and sustainability of our
food and drink companies.
For more details on how to contact us, click here