East Lothian Food & Drink BID believes that we have a responsibility to contribute toward looking after the environment as part of sustainable economic growth, to ensure that all people have the opportunity to satisfy their basic needs and enjoy a better quality of life, without compromising quality of life for future generations.
East Lothian Food & Drink BID is committed to improving our environmental performance across all of our operations, which include; the development of Business Improvement Districts, regeneration and asset management, production and manufacturing, warehousing and distribution.
East Lothian Food & Drink BID recognises that our key impacts are in the areas of:
Energy use | Raw material use | Waste generation | Emissions to air/water | Water use | Buying and procurement
East Lothian Food & Drink BID will strive to:
- Carry out a review of our resource use and environmental impacts
- Identify areas where we can minimise our environmental impacts
- Set realistic targets and identify a series of measures to try to reduce impacts
- Minimise waste through careful and efficient use of all materials and energy and prevent pollution
- Purchase sustainable products wherever feasible [e.g. recycled, FSC certified or low environmental impact products and energy from renewable sources]
- Train employees in good environmental practice and encourage employee involvement in environmental action
- Reduce risks from environmental, health or safety hazards for employees and others in the vicinity of our operations
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and guidelines
- Adopt an environmentally responsible transport strategy
- Aim to include environmental and ethical considerations in purchasing or investment decisions where appropriate
- Communicate our environmental policy to staff, customers, suppliers and stakeholders
- Continually assess and improve the environmental impact of all our operations
East Lothian Food & Drink BID will commit resources to ensure that effective management and improvement of our identified impacts is progressed and will review performance annually and update our policy when necessary.